Many animals have allegedly died or gone missing in Surabaya Zoo over the last two years following rumours of internal management conflicts that have caused suffering for the animals and those taking care of them.
Surabaya Zoo stand on land area of 15 hectares. The number of animals are 4021. Number of species are 220.
28 head is old age and poor health. 43 head was seriously ill. The number of wild life too much. Not in accordance with available area.
According to Hadi Prasetyo (Surabaya Zoo Chairman Temporary Management 2) a large fund of approximately 90 billion rupiahs need to fix Surabaya Zoo.
Surabaya Zoo has become an international issue. Some of the foreigners, both from media and other zoos have been visiting and concerned to see the deteriorating condition due to prolonged internal conflict.
The conflict between the old and the new management team and the Mayor of Surabaya who refused to become managers because of fear of being violated Government Regulation.
Ministry of Indonesia Forestry signaled to provide temporary management of Surabaya Zoo to Surabaya City Government. Seen with the letters Forest Protection and Nature Conservation Chief Department, Darori to the Surabaya legislatif (S.94/IV-KKH/2012) whose contents include giving authority to the Surabaya City Government as a temporary manager during the transition period prior to submission to the enterprises or other business entity.
On the other hand, the mayor of Surabaya, Tri Rismaharini, said that Surabaya City Government insists that will not join again in the temporary management of Surabaya Zoo. Because it would contrary to Government Regulation number 6/2006, regarding the management of state property or areas should be managed by a separate corporation, not the City Government.
Tierpark Berlin, Germany, and CNN has come to Suerabaya Zoo on Saturday, March 24, 2012. They highlighted the problem of too many animals in one cage and the quality of food animals is lacking. It causes the animals are less healthy conditions. Conflict led to nearly 50 head of animals seriously ill, and some workers is also sick. Disease suffered by workers who are vulnerable is hepatitis and tuberculosis.
The latest data dead of animals in 2 years from Toni Sumampau : The Surabaya Zoo Chief Executive Temporary Management Team 2 are :
- November 2011, a male deer with a Latin name Deer Muntiacus died on aged one year. Declared dead deer because of natural factors, due to the cold after heavy rain Surabaya.
- 8 November 2011: a Komodo dragon dies.
- 1 March 2012: giraffe named Kliwon dead. One cause of death was due to tuberculosis. Another cause for the destruction of the digestive organs. Found 20 kg of plastic in the stomach. Too many worms in the body.
- 2010 and 2011: Sumatran tiger died of hepatitis.
- March 2012: Canadian Black Bear skin suffering from severe illness and reside in a specialized clinic and quarantine cage
- March 17, 2012: Java Bull male (boss javanicus), Leo, died of a broken leg stuckin the gutter edge of the cage (13 March 2012)
- March 2012: 3 species of birds (200 birds) in a cage measuring 15 x 20 meters, namely : Australian pelicans, great white egrets, black Cormorant.
- 24 February 2012: Goteng boar dead. Found signs of cyanide poisoning in the stomach, heart and lungs of wild boar habitat on the island of Java.
250 animals died during the 2011. Among them, the mountain goats die of digestive disorders. Apparently, after surgery, in the stomach was found a plastic bag crackle. So is the death of a crocodile, which found 25 stones in his stomach.
Damai, the name of a baby orang-utan of Borneo, female gender, age 6 months, is one of the animals that enter the treatment room baby animals. Peace put in special care since birth, the mother did not want to take care of her. Orang utan Borneo are animals, including endangered species in the world to protect its existence and is widely available in Indonesia. Damai is currently still learning to walk, holding something, hanging, and the bite because of growing new teeth.
Special ward reserved for rare animals, animals that have problems with their mother after birth, and newborn animals are cannibals.