The French Presidential campaign officially kicks off. Ten candidates (2 ladies and 8 men including the actual President Nicolas Sarkozy) will be in the race. Posters of some candidates can already be seen across France.
Who will be the next French President?
- Nicolas SARKOZY - actual French President since 2007, conservative, liberal, U.M.P. (Union for a Movement Popular), his slogan: 'A strong France'.
- François HOLLANDE - P.S. (Socialist Party) candidate, winner of PS party internal elections, describes himself as a 'normal' candidate, seen as a winner in the recent polls, his slogan: 'change is now'.
- Marine LE PEN - F.N. President (Party Nationalist) founded by her father, Jean Marie Le Pen. She defends ideas of national concern in the face of immigration.
- François BAYROU - centre, Education specialist, Modem President (Democratic movement).
- Jean-Luc MELENCHON - ex P.S. member, founded the F.G. - Front de Gauche (Left Party) in 2009 which opposes liberalism and capitalism.
- Eva JOLY - Europe Ecology Party (Green Party) candidate;
- Philippe POUTOU - syndicalist, Nouveau Parti Anticapitaliste francais (New Anticapitalism Party) candidate;
- Nathalie ARTHAUD - communist, Extreme Gauche Lutte Ouvriere (Extreme Left Party) candidate;
- Jacques CHEMINADE - Solidarité Et Progrès Party candidate;
- Nicolas DUPONT-AIGNAN - Debout la République (Up the Republic) Party candidate.
A few important dates:
9 April 2012: Official 2012 Presidential campaign kicks off
20 April 2012: End of the Official 2012 Presidential campaign
22 April 2012: First round - Presidential 2012
6 May 2012: Second round - Presidential 2012
17 May 2012: New French President starts his mandate.