Open day at the Fort Frère in Oberhausbergen, 5 km west from Strasbourg, France. 22/06/09
The fort was built by the german army between 1872 and 1875. He's located 5 km west from Strasbourg. It's part of a defensive belt of 12 forts around the city. The original name was fort Grossherzog Von Baden. It was armed by 900 mens and 22 pieces of artillery. The fort was used as a prisonners of war camp by the german army during ww1. After ww1, the french army occupied the fort until the beginning of ww2. A second time, the fort was a prisonners of war camp from mid-1940 to 1944. After ww2, the fort was abandonned to the nature.
Since 1999 a group of 30 people decided to bring the fort to life. They spend their free time working at the rebirth of this place. And there is still a lot of work to do!
German and french reenactors presented to the visitors the evolution of uniforms and materials from 1914 to 1918.