After more than one century of right-wing governments in El Salvador (E. S), and after winning the Presidential Election last march the 15th, Carlos Mauricio Funes Cartagena, an important T.V. journalist, was sworn in as the Constitutional President of El Salvador, on Monday Jun the 1st, in the inaugural ceremony celebrated in “Centro Internacional de Ferias y Convenciones” (CIFCO), in San Salvador city. President Funes ran for President with the leftist Party, FMLN. The event was covered for about 1,000 journalists from many countries.
In his inaugural speech, new President Mauricio Funes, said his government will have a “preferential option for the poor”, based in a famous statement by salvadorean archbishop Oscar Arnulfo romero, who was killed more than 20 years ago, during the civil war in El Salvador.
President Funes said his government will create 100,000 jobs opportunities in the next 18 month and that will provide of essential medicines to the hospitals. Besides, he said his government will fight against corruption, fiscal evasion and narcotraffic. Also, he will start the “anti-crisis plan”, to start solving the impact of the international economics crisis and announced that relation between E.S. and Cuba will be started immediately.
Presidents and other official representatives from many countries assisted to the ceremony: President Rafael Correa from Ecuador, President Luis Ignacio Lula da Silva from Brazil, President Michelle Bachelet Jeria from Chile, Vice president José R. Machado from Cuba, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton from USA, among others.
Now former president of E. S., Elías Antonio Saca greeted Cuban Vice President Machado as an historical act between both countries, due to former President Saca was a rightist president.
At the end of the ceremony, President Funes hold in arms his baby showing he is a President that is also a good father.
This is the first leftist government in El Salvador, that is why this event is considered as an historical event.
1. New President Mauricio Funes in his inaugural speech.
2. Journalist Mauricio Funes is sworn in as Constitutional President of El Salvador. To the left, former President Elias Antonio Saca. In the middle, Vanda Pignato, new first lady, and to the right, Ciro Cruz Zepeda, President of the Congress.
3. Brazilian Press in action! Doing his best to get the best shot.
4. Part of the 1000 journalists that covered the ceremony.
5. President Rafael Correa from Ecuador.
6. President Ignacio Lula da Silva from Brazil.
7. President Michelle Bachelet from Chile
8. Vice President José Ramón Machado from Cuba.
9. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton from USA.
10. Presidents invited.
11. Former President Saca say goodbye.
12. At the end of the ceremony President Funes walks with his baby in arms and his wife Vanda Piganato.
13. President Funes seems to be a good father.
14. Historical act: Former E. S. President Saca(right) greets Cuban Vice President Machado (left).
15. A panoramic of the main stage of the ceremony. In the bottom center, President Funes in his inaugural speech.